RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
Help with Wattmeters needed Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
Help with Wattmeters needed Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
Help with Wattmeters needed Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
Help with Wattmeters needed Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
Help with Wattmeters needed Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

Help with Wattmeters needed

5 posters

Go down

Help with Wattmeters needed Empty Help with Wattmeters needed

Post by Tim 2009-11-28, 09:07

I am in a "dispute" with a supplier over Wattmeter readings...the upshot being large discrepancies between diffferent types. I could really use the short term loan of any such meters that peeps have, in order for me to carry out controlled testing. I already own an AstroFlight "Whattmeter" and an Eagle Tree data logger, so any other flavours that you guys may have would be really useful.
If you can help, then either call me, or post here, or PM. I can collect, or there is Llysfaen indoor which I attend every Tuesday. I would not need them for longer than a day or two.
Cheers and TYIA.
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 3235

Back to top Go down

Help with Wattmeters needed Empty Re: Help with Wattmeters needed

Post by Guest 2009-11-28, 09:41

Tim, got one of these http://www.giantcod.co.uk/wattmeter-lipo-tester-p-403900.html

Give me a call on 01745 823973 if you want to borrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2009-11-28, 09:43

Yep, that will do for starters TY Allan....just need to sort out collection - Ill wait a while and see who else might chip in, and maybe we can co-ordinate summat cheers
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich 2009-11-28, 09:50

Hi Tim,

Without getting Andy to "excited" no pun intended, can't you use the Watts = Volts x Amps calculation I have a clamp on ammeter that you can borrow, you may get a more accurate reading. I know you may also have to calculate losses in the wiring, motor speedo etc but this should give you a best guess to see which meter is the more accurate.

4 cell lipo pulling 20amps
i.e. Watts = V X A Watts = 14.4 x 20 = 273.6 watts
Rich
Rich
Treasurer/Membership Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 5694

http://www.futaba-rc.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2009-11-28, 10:28

Its not the calculation of the power thats the issue Rich...its the apparant discrepancies between brands of meters which are sold specifically for the purpose. My trusty AF meter indicates some current figures way beyond the ones claimed by the motor distributor on a particular cell count and prop size. This particular distributor claims that serious differences exist in these meters, and I need to prove this one way or another. Running this expensive motor on his recommended prop would according to my two meters destroy it pretty quickly...yet he insists that his meter ( a Hyperion ) gives far lower figures and that all is well.
I should also add that following the testing, the subject may form the basis of a small article in the near future Wink
Assuming your clamp on unit is happy up to circa 75A DC then it would be most welcome TY
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-11-28, 10:38

The discrepancies that you are seeing Tim, are more than likely due to cheap and nasty current measurement techniques being used (I'm trying not to become too excited here Rich!). The majority of Devices out there in RC land use Shunt based measurements. That is, they measure the voltage drop against a "known" resistance. Remember V=IR, so if you know V, and you know R, you can work out I. Once you know I, you can work out the power.

However, if you don't know V or R accurately, then the calculated current will also be out. Measuring V is pretty easy to do accurately. Knowing the value of the Shunt resistance accurately can be a bit of a pain. Especially if you use a "cheap" method of doing so (like a big chunky bit of wire, or a cheap resistor). You will find that the resistance of these cheap shunts will vary quite dramatically with temperature, humidity, age, and also the amount of current flowing through it.

I would strongly recommend binning all your cheap meters, and rely on something like a clamp on meter like Rich suggests, or one that you know uses a temperature compensated Shunt (the Eagletree devices use pretty good ones, at least, my micrologger one does Smile ) Even then, the readings are not going to be truly "accurate".

If you are doing comparative testing between units, for the test to be valid, make sure you perform them at the same temperature, and if possible, put a known current through them (rather than using a model power system, as that will vary the current drawn with things like temperature, air pressure, humidity, time of the month etc etc etc).

HTH
Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-28, 11:16

Can't believe it is so simple

Are we measuring pure DC, pulsed DC or AC current here? If it's AC, what shape is the waveform? Is it sinusoidal, square or sawtooth? How does the meter deal with that?

Is the meter to be placed In series with the battery lead or one of the phase wires to the motor?

With any shunt meter in the battery lead or just one phase, the motor currents will be changed from "As Is". Any answers will be highly suspect and more likely to be a "good guess"... or read as "Rubbish in Rubbish out"

The clamp on meter sounds the most likely way to me of getting a vague picture of "watts" going on.

There are only a few DC clamp ammeters on the market, I know graupner did one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-28, 11:18

where do you get ac batteries?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-28, 11:27

Leigh wrote:where do you get ac batteries?

Good point but
I think you will find the current flow from the battery to the speed controller is not smooth pure DC but pulsed as the speed controller switches the currents on the 3 phases in turn. The conversion is done digitally and so the current flow from the battery is "notchy". The phase currents are always AC but usually are not a nice sinsoidal pattern. We tend to assume the battery cuurent is DC but using a DC meter may not get the true picture. Try a scope on the battery leads with the motor running at part throttle and you will see this.

Last edited by PDQ on 2009-11-28, 11:39; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-28, 11:28

Leigh, The same place you get the DC transformers Laughing Laughing cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2009-11-28, 13:36

OK lets keep it simple. I want anyone witih a "purpose made" electric flight wattmeter device to lend it to me for a couple of days. Sad
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Colclough 2009-11-28, 14:47

What meter? Oh that meter Help with Wattmeters needed Icon_wink Don't want anybody getting sinusoidal on us Help with Wattmeters needed Icon_jokercolorNo funerals in the festive season please

Brian Colclough

RDMFC Bonus points : 4736

http://www.imacuk.co.uk/   http://www.rdmfc.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by melfyn 2009-11-28, 18:13

Got a Watts up branded one you can borrow to try if needed.
melfyn
melfyn
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 885

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2009-11-28, 18:38

Yep, that would be great too Mel, the more the merrier TBH
Tim
Tim
Committee Member