RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
Thank you! Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
Thank you! Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
Thank you! Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
Thank you! Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
Thank you! Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

Thank you!

+6
Zaidy
Allan Patrick
Stubbsy
Tim
Marty
Mark Barnes
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Thank you! Empty Thank you!

Post by Guest 2012-05-06, 18:53

My name is Mark and I am new the to the forum.

I just wanted to take the time to say thank you to the guys down at the field today (Sunday). I am sorry but I cannot remember everyone's name, but, I arrived, speculatively, this afternoon for some advice in starting with the hobby and the people there were most welcoming and very helpful. In particular, I would like to say thanks for allowing me to try controlling an aircraft with no experience whatsoever.

I received fantastic advice which is truly appreciated.

I have searched around the website and forum but cannot find any "Numpty's guide to model aircraft". May I suggest one, if one of you kind people have the time to produce it. As a complete beginner such information would be gold dust, saving time and money by not buying the wrong equipment etc. Whilst I appreciate a lot of things would be subjective, some basic advice on what to not buy would be very helpful to beginners. I am so glad I visited today - I think the fuse is lit (now looking for a controller having already arranged to purchase an aircraft from one of the guys on the field today). Wife will be ecstatic (it being such a cheap hobby :-))

Once again, many thanks to everyone today for your time and hospitality!

Please feel free give me advice/opinions on controllers (I need all the help I can get)

Back to top Go down

Thank you! Empty Re: Thank you!

Post by Mark Barnes 2012-05-06, 19:27

Mark, welcome along, sorry I missed you today I was busy being a disappointment at a local 3D event.

Lots of guys are happy to help and its always nice to hear good feedback from any field visit.

As for your Numptys guide I would like to add No Helicopters No Futaba and No mode 1! Stick to these 3 golden rules and you will be fine.

Nah anything you need to know just holla there is always someone on here ready to help you out within minutes.

Mark "Barnesyboy" Barnes
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 8240

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2012-05-06, 19:41

To answer your fist question properly,

Controllers!

Main choices are,

Specktrum
JR
Futaba
Hitec
Graupner

All makes have pluses and minuses making it a very hard choice, personally its either Specktrum (DSM2) or Futaba (FASST) , next question is how much do you want to spend.

A cheep bottom end TX may seem tempting but I guarantee within 2 years (or sooner) if your still doing the hobby you will want to change/upgrade.

So at a minimum I would say a 7 channel TX

Out of the choice I would recommend Spectrum and a DX7 or an 8 if the funds allow, the reason for this which may not make scents at the moment is the amount of PNP and BNF models available on DSM2 makes Speki a must have.

Just my thoughts (honest though as im trying to sell a Graupner set now lol)

M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 8240

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty 2012-05-06, 19:45

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.
It was good to see you at the field today and I'm glad you enjoyed it. The guy who let you fly was Tim who is responsible for getting a few of us started.
There is a wealth of information for beginers on here but it will take a bit of searching.
Good luck.
Marty
Marty
Marty

RDMFC Bonus points : 1196

http://oddballcustomart.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-06, 20:07

Thanks Mark and Marty (and Tim if you catch this)

I am far from made of money but do believe in buying the quality, and proper, tools for the job. Tim (et al) seemed to be using the Spektrum range and so, by default, I shall investigate that further. I had a quick look and I think I could stretch to the DX8 (if I sell off some of my Radio Ham stuff).

I am working on the advice that I need a slow plane to begin with but will want to progress as time moves on. Based on the "tuppence" information retained from today (my fault, not their's) the most money should be invested in the controller rather than a stupidly expensive aircraft for me to destroy.

(Marty, remind me to speak to you about some artwork for my Bandit sometime :-))

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2012-05-06, 21:22

Hi Mark - you did very well for an absolute beginner. Smile
If you do decide on a spektrum set, then be aware that many of them cannot easily be changed across the modes ( remember we discussed modes....left hand throttle right hand throttle etc? ) so be sure to decide which mode to use ( I, and many others fly mode 1 - throttle right hand stick ) AND AS YOUVE ALREADY HAD A LITTLE DABBLE, WHY NOT STICK WITH IT Laughing
The 8 is a good set and should last you absolutely ages, try "Inwoods" for keen prices, otherwise, DX6i, or a bit better DX7.
Marty's trainer ( ST Discovery is a fine beginners model, and has the advantage of an undercarriage, so cna be used for your "A" test as and when you are ready.
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 3235

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty 2012-05-06, 22:02

Hi Mark, It's really easy to spend other people's money Laughing As I said today, I started with the Spektrum DX6 which hold the memory up to 10 different models. I thought that would be plenty but believe me, if you are like most of us, you will accumulate models, I dunno, it just kind of happens Shocked so I would say the Spektrum DX7 would be the way to go without breaking the bank and it has a 20 model memory.
There are other members who use sets named by Mark above and to be honest you get what you pay for but a consideration to take into account would be who is going to be your mentor, (I think I'm right in saying) You need the same set make for the buddy lead to start off with.
As for the "Mode" there is a lot of banter in the Club as to which one is best but when I started I didn't know the difference and as Tim (who was my mentor) was mode 1 (The best incedentally lol) I was taught Mode 1. I don't know if Tim is still a Club Instructor but there will be a list on here somewhere, You should aproach an Instructor who flies the mode you want to learn and ask the instructor you pick about his radio of choice.
Hope this helps.
Marty
PS Bandit 6 or 12? I ride an XVS Vstar 1100. Paint job? wadya want?

Last edited by Marty on 2012-05-06, 22:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mark B's isim's lol)
Marty
Marty

Back to top Go down

Post by Stubbsy 2012-05-06, 22:29

Hi Mark - welcome to the forum/ club!
I was supposed to be there today, but I ended up nursing this girly scratch instead! - (Marty, I was coming down, but just couldn't get a decent grip on the gear stick/ handbrake) - sorry bud, hope the Akscent flew as well as you hoped it would!

Mark - Just remember, Mode 1 is for the limp wristed! (im mode 2 by the way - which all the real men fly!) Laughing
- No seriously, I would see if you can have another crack on a mode 1 AND 2 controller, its a personal choice really, and you should choose what you feel most comfortable with - there are mode 1 and 2 instructors around so dont panic!
As far as trannies's (handsets) go - as has already been mentioned there are loads out there, and you can spend a little or a hell of a lot, but for your money, I dont think you can go wrong with a spektrum. (someone will comeback now and tell you to go for Futaba!) I use a DX7, and its a great set! A little complicated to set up to start with, but loads fly Spekky, so we will always help you out!

Tim - not to jam a stick in the bee's nest, but wasn't there an issue with the Dx8 a while back????? cant remember what it was though! scratch

Anyway, if you are a biker and a flyer you are alright by me! (I used to ride a GSXR 600 - then the kids came along!)
Catch you at the field sometime! Thank you! Happy0034
Stubbsy
Stubbsy

RDMFC Bonus points : 1373

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-07, 10:24

Thanks all.

Marty - Bike is the 650 carb version - best all rounder ever!. Having had the Sprint ST and Bonny America flogged them as they were too tall and the pegs were to far away (respectively) for a short a**e. Don't know what I fancy yet, maybe a naked lady Very Happy

Will have to look at mode 3 and 4 just to wind everyone up! I think I am right that the DX8 can do 1 & 2, so maybe (with a lot of help) I could "try" both. I would also "guess" that there is a way to buddy up Mode 1 & 2 from slave to master with some thought

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty 2012-05-07, 10:48

I'm not up on the buddy box side of things but I'm sure someone will jump in and advise you.
As for naked ladies You will have to supply the model! Laughing
Marty
Marty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-07, 11:30

If I had the model I would not need the picture Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2012-05-07, 12:20

The DX8 is mode changeable, but its a little bit of a faff - do-able for sure - but I'd still get it in the mode you want out of the box personally. The Spekky training system allows you to buddy up with any other Spekky set, ( and some JR stuff too ) and its an absolute doddle......takes seconds to implement, and any mode can buddy with any other mode. Simples.
In my honest opinion, I dont believe theres anything much between the mainstream sets, they are ALL great systems and perform as required.
The main reasons to make a choice are..
1) Price and availability of receivers ( you WILL want loads eventually )
2) Compatibility with existing gear.
Explanation: Someone who has been flying a while will probably already have several models and receivers, switching to a different brand of transmitter will mean that he would also have to buy new receivers to match the new brand of transmitter!

Its like cars etc...every one has a good reason to recommend a particular brand, and has probably had that loyalty instilled in them a long time ago.

Its also like arseholes and opinions - everyone has one, but nobody wants to listen to mine Very Happy

The DX8 did have some teething issues, but these were resolved quite quickly, and one of the benefits of the system is that new firmware, and enhancements are downloadable in minutes by the user himself.
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2012-05-07, 13:05

Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan Patrick 2012-05-07, 14:14

Actually, its probably true to say that all the mainstream suppliers have had teething issues. As Tim says the software is easily updateable, it is no problem these days

Welcome to the club & forum btw!
Allan Patrick
Allan Patrick
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 1842

Back to top Go down

Post by Stubbsy 2012-05-07, 17:39

Bloody hell - thats a good buy - cheaper than my DX7 actually!
Stubbsy
Stubbsy

RDMFC Bonus points : 1373

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty 2012-05-07, 17:40

Yeah but you can sell yours still boxed Razz
Marty
Marty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2012-05-07, 17:55

I have used Inwoods for the last 3 radio sets I bought ( Dx6i, DX7, and my current DX8 )
They always do great deals. For instance, I have just bought 3 x brand new TM1000 telemetry modules @ £19.99 each ( unboxed but complete ) where the normal retail price is around £28 - 35.
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-07, 20:43

Thanks.

However, I am even more confused. It seems on the Spectrum website (forum rules won't allow me to post URL)that the unit is mode selectable, and yet, this one (as recommended by Tim) seems to be mode 1 only. I am also unsure if this is TX only - which would mean the telemetry would not work?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-07, 21:06

Is this (Spektrum DX8 + AR8000 + Tele Combo) one from Kings Lynn modelshop (kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk) better?

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaidy 2012-05-07, 21:37

Welcome to the forum/club Mark, a good investment worth considering is getting a flight sim. It's extremely useful to practice on. Phoenix is a good one to consider.

Happy shopping.

Regards

Zaidy

Zaidy
RDMFC Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 1827

http://Seahawkap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-07, 23:16

Love to hear people's constructive opinions on modes.

Whilst Tim, very kindly, let me fly his plane in mode 1, mode 2 "looks" easier - is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2012-05-07, 23:39

It is if you are kack handed - Very Happy
All sets - even if mode changeable - will be supplied in one mode or another, and as I said, its less faffing if you just buy one in the "right" mode to start with!
The Inwoods set is tx and receiver combo with charger and so on, but no servos or telemetry module. The Tx is already telemetry equipped, but to actually use telemetry a module has to be purchased separately and fitted into any and all models you wish to use telemetry on.
I wouldnt even think about using the telemetry stuff until you have mastered the basics...its all bling really. Youd be far better spending the dosh required for telemetry modules on receivers, chargers etc or models instead
I DOUBT YOU'LL GET MUCH CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS ABOUT MODE SELECTION JUST BIASED PERSUASION
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2012-05-07, 23:46

Forgot to mention....when choosing your radio brand, remember that Spektrum pretty much is dominant and universal for the "bind-N-fly" type indoor stuff.
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-07, 23:49

Thanks Tim.

Not kack handed. Just trying to ascertain if there are any "valid" arguments either way.

Thanks for the info on the controller (makes a little more sense now). I take it you recommend the DX8 even for a beginner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2012-05-07, 23:55

I will only be drawn to recommend " the best you can afford", but can add that I am very happy with my DX8.
It is said that mode 2 fliers may sometimes input unwanted commands to elevator or aileron when operating the right hand stick, whereas mode 1 fliers have those two primary controls on completely separate sticks. Its all a bit academic TBH, there are great fliers on both modes, and crap ones in equal measure too....most of us simply operate the mode our instructor used :-)
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum