RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
How do I slow it down? Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
How do I slow it down? Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
How do I slow it down? Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
How do I slow it down? Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
How do I slow it down? Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

How do I slow it down?

4 posters

Go down

How do I slow it down? Empty How do I slow it down?

Post by Guest 2009-02-26, 22:01

Can someone help. I want to mix some Brake/flaps into my Bedlam slope soarer to slow it dowm for landing. What is the difference between flaps (bothe aelerons down) and Crow brakes (both aelerons up) Also what elevator do I need to mix in.

Brian did try and explain on the slope today but my brain was cold and the info failed to stick.

Keep well

DaveS Very Happy

Back to top Go down

How do I slow it down? Empty Re: How do I slow it down?

Post by Mark Barnes 2009-02-26, 22:05

on an aircraft without split flaps like your bedlham i would use spoilerons Ali up with the Ele you add a little opposite ie ali up ele down, you wont need much as its just to correct the level flight,

You also need to make sure you still retain some roll control, had abit to drink and cant think of how to word it properly so somone else may chip in before i souber up

M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 8240

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Colclough 2009-02-26, 22:11

Dave I'll leave Richie Roy or Mark to answer this one as it's not my strong area having just started sloping. I drop both ailerons down on my Wasabi but apparently on many models this can provoke tip stall but apparently the Wasabi's trick wing section renders it immune to this effect. So I would wait for a more educated opinion Wink

Brian Colclough

RDMFC Bonus points : 4736

http://www.imacuk.co.uk/   http://www.rdmfc.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Colclough 2009-02-26, 22:12

Sounds like Mark's lost his "roll control" drunken

Brian Colclough

RDMFC Bonus points : 4736

http://www.imacuk.co.uk/   http://www.rdmfc.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich 2009-02-27, 07:46

From memory the Bedlam is a conventional ariplane wing/tail separate, I don't know JR but it will be easy if you speak to someone else on the dark side like Mark
Rich
Rich
Treasurer/Membership Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 5694

http://www.futaba-rc.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-02-27, 21:35

Hey folks.

Generally, to slow a plane down, you need to increase it's Cl value (coefficient of lift). Usually that means flying at a higher angle of attack, something that not all wings/aircraft can cope with. The other way to acheive the increase, is by lifting aids (including flaps, droop noses, slats etc). If you think about an airliner coming in to land, it drops the flaps out to help it fly slower, without falling out of the sky.

So, what you need to do, is drop both ailerons a bit. However, if the ailerons are full span, or on the outboard section of the wing, it can cause a big problem. Depending on the airfoil and wing design, it possible to stall the wing by dropping a flap too much. That happening on the outboard section of the wing, can cause tip stalling. The last thing you want!

The alternative, is as suggested, and raise both ailerons. This actually reduces the coefficient of lift, but in doing so, it modifies the wing aerofoil so that it can fly at slightly higher angles of attack. So, you can slow the plane down a fraction. In practice, the speed reduction will be difficult to spot. I tried it extensively on a Filip400, and it tended to just increase the descent rate (unless you hold the nose up high, just before the stall).

On the slope, the increased descent rate if you don't hold the nose up as much, is really useful putting the model down right where you want it.

As Mark says, one thing you may notice with Spoilerons (or flapperons for that matter) is a greatly reduced roll authority. This can be a problem, as the landing is when you want good roll control! The way I got around it was to mix in some positive differential to the ailerons, and set it to only be active whne the spoilerons are deployed. I have no idea how to do that on any Tx other than a MPX Evo though Smile

Regarding the elevator compensation, then this is often a try it and see value. Some models need up elevator with spoilerons, others need down. It is often a personal preference too, I prefer mine to be point the nose up a bit more than most Smile

Cheers
ANdy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-02-28, 10:45

pehaps a little note about using Flaps...once deployed for Landing resist the temptation to put them away if you are going to land short...reason putting them away will reduce the lift the wing produces and your new bit of kit will drop like a stone for a heavy landing....still the model shop will benefit !
The same for take off get a bit of ground under you ,(vertical seperation )before retracting them.

Back to top Go down

How do I slow it down? Empty Thanks

Post by Guest 2009-02-28, 22:22

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice. I now have a couple of mixes in the TX to play with on the slope.

Keep well

DaveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down