RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
Warm ESC Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
Warm ESC Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
Warm ESC Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
Warm ESC Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
Warm ESC Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

Warm ESC

3 posters

Go down

Warm ESC Empty Warm ESC

Post by Stubbsy 2010-09-30, 10:47

Just a quickie - still setting up my 250 heli build, and noticed the other night that the ESC was warm to the touch (not hot - just warm) after a few minutes of using the BEC to fiddle with Servo's. Motor was disconnected for safety while I was sorting out mechanical pitch adjustment.
I'v not noticed this on my 450, and wondered if this was the norm?
Cheers for the help gang! Wink
Stubbsy
Stubbsy

RDMFC Bonus points : 1373

Back to top Go down

Warm ESC Empty Re: Warm ESC

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-09-30, 11:03

It depends on the specific type of ESC, but normally, a bit of heat is normal. Most ESC's have a linear BEC inside them. You probably know, but the pack voltage connected to the ESC will be between 9-12.6v for a 3s lipo pack connected to it. However, the rx and servos, ideally want a voltage of 5v. In order to step this down, a linear BEC basically dissipates the excess voltage, as heat.

The formula for working out how much, is pretty simple, You just take the current being drawn by the load (say 1Amp) and multiply it by the voltage drop required (so call it 7v for a nearly fully charged 3s pack). That equals 7 watts of power being dissipated by the BEC, and is enough to warm stuff up quite quickly.

The general rule of thumb I use, is that if an ESC, BEC, or Voltage regulator is too hot to hold your index finger on for more than about 5 seconds (about 70°C or so) , it is being over-worked, and you need to do something about it.

If it does get too hot, then the easiest (and neatest) way around it, is to install an ESC that has a "Switching" BEC. These drop the voltage by switching it on and off very quickly, making it appear like a lower voltage on average. They waste far less power, and as a result don't tend to get anywhere near as warm.

HTH, and sorry for rambling on. I did try to cut the xplanation right down, but it is hard, I hate giving half an answer Smile

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Colclough 2010-09-30, 11:15

It would be either ans or wer if you did Andy clown

Brian Colclough

RDMFC Bonus points : 4736

http://www.imacuk.co.uk/   http://www.rdmfc.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-09-30, 11:29

When they sit on a bench connected they do tend to get hot but after a flight it should run cooler.
The closer you run the esc to 100% generally the cooler they run.
I've found that most esc's especially Align ones run cooler above 70%.
I tend to run them between 90 and 100% all the time and they stay cooler that way.
The ones I like most are the Kontronik range.They run cool all the time,awesome governor and huge prices to match. Rolling Eyes
The ICE range look good too.
Andy how's the ICE so far?Are you liking it?

Danny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-09-30, 11:47

Yep, the Castle ICE is running great. Only slightly warm to the touch after a flight in the Jibe, and that is with no cooling airflow at all. I've not messed around with the datalogging onboard yet though, been a bit busy the last few weeks Wink

BY the way, Danny is talking about switching losses in the main FETs on an ESC. They are the bad boys that turn the power on and off quickly to control the speed (power) of the motor. Because they don't turn on and of instantly, and have a slight resistance (that varies with how fast they switch), they disspiate power too, and therefore get warm too...

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum