RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
migraine anybody? Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
migraine anybody? Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
migraine anybody? Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
migraine anybody? Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
migraine anybody? Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

migraine anybody?

3 posters

Go down

migraine anybody? Empty migraine anybody?

Post by Guest 2009-11-14, 22:34

anybody else ever get em? got a fun one goin on right now cant see to the right, i was wel into a good stint of my new build too Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

migraine anybody? Empty Re: migraine anybody?

Post by Guest 2009-11-14, 23:11

Go take a aspirin and get some shut eye!
It will do a world of good

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-15, 17:07

Leigh wrote:anybody else ever get em? got a fun one goin on right now cant see to the right, i was wel into a good stint of my new build too Crying or Very sad
Not nice
Did you recover? Has it gone yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by melfyn 2009-11-15, 17:10

Yes I too suffer from them, so I know only to well how much they hurt and dibilatate. pale
melfyn
melfyn
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 885

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-11-15, 22:04

Been free of them for about 10 months now. I was getting them with increasing regularity about this time last year. wicked Evil things, start with flashy disco lights all over my peripheral vision, then tingling hands, and a tingling side of face, followed by a blinding headache, and feeling like utter s***. The only cure was to get to sleep as soon as possible, and stay that way for a good 12 hours or so.

I thought that something must have been causing them, and according to the internet, things like coffee, cheese, red wine and chocolate are common triggers. I don't do coffee or red wine, and cheese is a little not very often, but Chocolate, oh yes. So I gave it up. Completely. Since then, no migraine.

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-16, 11:39

all recoverd now.

just dosed up and went to bed with a wet towel on my head. hehe flashy lights.... its like ark eye, then i lost peripheral vision on my right side, got dizzy puked and that was me done. heads still sore tho, hurts if i move about quick.

good excuse for some pampering tho What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-16, 12:47

Leigh wrote:all recoverd now.

just dosed up and went to bed with a wet towel on my head. hehe flashy lights.... its like ark eye, then i lost peripheral vision on my right side, got dizzy puked and that was me done. heads still sore tho, hurts if i move about quick.

good excuse for some pampering tho What a Face

Glad to hear your improving, you deserve pampering....and whatever. But your now on the committee and we need you in tip top condition.

It did occur
You have been using cyano quite intensively recently with your "new build"

Personally I have to avoid cyano altogether because of the severe eye irritation it gives me. Just one whiff is enough. The only way to avoid it is do it outside or not at all.
But I have used it by the "bucketful" in the past 30 years as a replacement for pva and balsa cement.

At a firm I worked at in Thornton Cleveleys, they employed casual workers from local fishemen to work on the chem plant making isocyanate resins. (used for flexible foams for car seats and settees and also rigid foams for insulation panels, fridges and packing etc) The stuff is based on phosgene gas... chemistry CN =Cyanide = Poison. Smells like musty hay and was used in first world war by the Enemy to debilitate. Led to skin blisters and breathing problems and eye damage. Particularly nasty on people with kilts. You don't wear a kilt do you?

The fishermen eventually became sensitised to the stuff and suffered from repeat attacks of a form of Asthma and chest problems vomiting etc. Just after a few seconds of being exposed to the stuff. Just sitting on a cyano foam settee was enough to set them off. Maybe the were affected for life. Don't know.

Any of these types of products are extremely dangerous to mankind unless handled with great care.

Cyano Cyanate Isocyanate not a lot of difference all based on cyanide technology

Try avoiding and see if it then becomes less of a problem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-16, 22:20

i dont think it was anything in particular that set it off paul. though i had used some cyno i wasnt setting off huge floods of it, just a tack here n there.

on the subject of glues, i do try to use as little cyno as possible, but sometimes its just the stuff for the job. i like good ol pva wherever possible, or aliphatic for quicker set. or the secret weapon the polyurethane glue, great for skinning wings, and sands well too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianto 2009-11-17, 15:16

I have been getting optical migraines for about 2 years now, sparkly lights in my central vision slowly expanding until they go away after 20 minutes. Happily they don't come with a headache but leave me feeling a bit down for the rest of the day.
My GP said, he gets them too, they sometimes go away for a long time then several turn up.
I can't find any trigger ( like chocolate,red wine noise, bright lights, tiredness etc), its not cyano, that gives me a sore throat!
Best see your GP though

Ianto
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-18, 10:37

saw my gp a couple of weeks ago ive had an ear and sinus infection so maybe somthing to do with that?

i had a good stint in the garage last night used just about every kind of glue going and not so much as a twinge.

What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-11-18, 12:33

Pleased to hear you recovered OK and also that CYANO was not the cause.

I understand they now carry cyano on board ambulances for emergency skin repairs.

As modellers, we deliberately seek to use a variety of toxic chemicals far more than so called "Normal" people, simply because we do and they don't.
Ether
Methanol
Epoxies
Sprayed epoxy paint particles
etc etc
So we do need to be more vigilant about the health hazards risks from some of the stuff we use.

Last edited by PDQ on 2009-11-18, 12:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum