RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
Can i borrow Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
Can i borrow Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
Can i borrow Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
Can i borrow Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
Can i borrow Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

Can i borrow

4 posters

Go down

Can i borrow Empty Can i borrow

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-09-07, 19:21

Has anyone got an airbursh and compresser i can borrow to have a play with?

The time of year is fast aproaching when i will be building shokkies like there going out of fasion and this year i would like a better job than my felt tips lol.

Marty fear not you will be painting my EMI 2010 models (I think) just want to have a play before i spend a fortune on somthing im crap at (like this hobby)

Ta
M

Last edited by Mark Barnes on 2010-09-08, 17:23; edited 1 time in total
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 8240

Back to top Go down

Can i borrow Empty Re: Can i borrow

Post by Tim 2010-09-07, 19:53

Yes....both - call in and collect whenever you like up until friday this week.
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 3235

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-09-07, 23:08

if you do decide to buy an airbrush, I would 100% recommend going with a double action one, where you have control of the air and the amount of paint, all one one trigger/button. It makes it muuuuch easier to do fades, and fine lines etc. There's no need to spend £100's on posh stuff, the cheaper Ebay double action ones are just as good for a beginner.

If you want to try out mine, you are more than welcome to borrow it for a while (it's an Eclipse SBS by Iwata). You'll have to find your onw compressed air though, mine is kaputski....

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-09-08, 11:08

Thanks Guys,

Tim are you about next week at all? im ait full up this week

Ta
M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty 2010-09-08, 12:37

I fear not Mate lol, if anyone can get into airbrushing and make a half desent job with out spending a small fortune on wasted paint and courses I take my hat off to them and wish them good luck.
I concur with Andy, a double action is the way to go but like everything, you get what you pay for.
Marty
Marty

RDMFC Bonus points : 1196

http://oddballcustomart.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2010-09-08, 12:45

Mark, yes, I am back from Tuesday, and no plans until a week later.
Mine is a double action brush but not overly pricey - and the compressor should be fine too - Marty used it happily on the MIG ( but with his expensive Iowata brush )
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 3235

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-09-08, 13:22

Marty wrote:I fear not Mate lol, if anyone can get into airbrushing and make a half desent job with out spending a small fortune on wasted paint and courses I take my hat off to them and wish them good luck..

To do a distinctly average job is pretty easy (think of my Transmitters!), that didn't take much effort, just a bit of a practice on some offcuts, and away we go! Honestly, those transmitters of mine were the first attempts I have ever made at anything more complex than some stenciled stars, and basic camo patterns, and the odd freehand flames (In a single colour) here and there. To be really good though, there is no substitute for practice, practice, a bit more practice, some creative flair, and the odd bit of instruction from people who know what they are talking about.

So for Mr Barnes, we'll dispense with the practicing (that's for girls of course), the creative flair is obviously already there having seen some of his marker pen shocky jobs, and for a bit of instruction, just ask Marty!

Which reminds me, next time I see you Marty, I need to ask you about that real-fire stuff. I fancy giving it a shot Smile

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty 2010-09-08, 15:55

mmmmm. ......... Getting back onto thread Rolling Eyes
Mark, have you decided which paint you are gonna use? There are loads out there but they all handle slightly different.
Off thread slightly:
A good way to get info on tehcniques is to join an air brush forum, most have all the basic information in the threads somewhere, all you gotta do is have a browse. Lets face it, there's nothing hard about airbrushing but to make money you have to know how to work effieciently and thats the bit no one will tell you!
Alternitavly, Edd Hubbs has some really good "How To's" on Utube ...... (are you listening Andy?) ........
Now off thread:
Andy, your lightning on your Tx is not half bad, I'm only taking the mick, ..... you have the control of the brush but as I said (and I wasn't taking the mick) with lightning - less is more! I use loads of refference pictures when I do most of my work. ..... hint hint
Hope this helps

Last edited by Marty on 2010-09-08, 15:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Marty
Marty

RDMFC Bonus points : 1196

http://oddballcustomart.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-09-08, 18:13

I was listening yes Smile Cheers for the hints though, I'll have a youtube sesh at some ungodly hour when the little 'un decides it is time to play!

Regarding the paint to use, here are my experience.

RC car paints (Lexan/polycarbonate paint, eg Pactra Racing finish). Nice and durable, sticks well to plastics. Needs to be thinned, and the thinner is pretty expensive. It can be tricky to spray as you need to play with the air pressure. to high and the paint dries in the air before it hits the workpiece. to low, and gets all sputtery. Cleaning up is a right pain, but made more pleasurable by the fumes!

Waterbased Acrylics (i.e. cheapy hobby paints). Dead easy to spray, and clean, but not the best results. Not too good on plastics. No funky fumes to keep you entertained.

Inks (alcohol based, eg drawing pen inks from an art shop) Really nice to use, don't need thinning. dead easy to spray, and brilliant for spraying direct on to Hot wire cut EPP. No good on depron, and the colours can be a bit wishy washy. Cleanup can be a pain (need alcohol), but the fumes are sort of good (not as good as RC car paints though)

Proper water based airbrush paint (eg auto-air, Createx etc). These are the mutts nutts! really nice to use, easy to clean up, and a really wide range of colours/effects. can be used on pretty much anything with the right basecoat. They are not cheap though!

Making money. I tell you what, I would be ecstatic if someone would consider paying for something that I have airbrushed!

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-09-08, 20:04

Intresting points but ive picked up on Andys last line.

Ive no intension of ever making money i just want to make my many shokkies abit nicer looking without the ball ache of sending to Rolling Roscoe or Marty lol.

as for priactise, if this year is like the last few i can see atleast 10 airframes to spray over the next few months lol

Paints no idea guys, dont want to spend a fortune on a plane with a life expectancty of one indoor meet

M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-09-08, 21:39

I've got a box of Pactra racing finish that you are welcome go have a few. I've got some rather fetching colours in there too including pink, baby blue, gold and my personal favourite, grape pearl....

You would just need some thinners....

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-09-16, 15:13

And if your still looking for air supply, do what the DIY guy's use. Hook it up to a car tyre (preferably not one on the car Laughing ). More than enough air supply for your use. Enjoy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-09-16, 15:46

And if you want paint, fill up at B&Q Very Happy Household emulsion will do just fine if on electric and boy do you have a choice of colours and cheap. Use the tester bottles diluted with water. If your using an airbrush that doesn't have a stainless steel needle(cheap Wink) make sure you strip it down, WD40 and get it very dry before putting in storeage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-09-16, 15:55

I forgot about this, its on the back burner for the moment really busy this month. thanks for the offers/advise i may well be back!

Cheers
M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: