RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
Clutch problem Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
Clutch problem Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
Clutch problem Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
Clutch problem Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
Clutch problem Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

Clutch problem

4 posters

Go down

Clutch problem Empty Clutch problem

Post by Zaidy 2010-04-11, 22:36

Had a bit of problem with my Trex 600 today.
The clutch is in three sections now ! What causes something like this ? And how do you go about preventing it from happening again in the future.

Thanks

Clutch problem 62c7848b
Clutch problem Ff6bc5dd
Clutch problem Bc83a3d2

Last edited by Zaidy on 2010-04-11, 22:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : photos added)

Zaidy
RDMFC Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 1827

http://Seahawkap.com

Back to top Go down

Clutch problem Empty Re: Clutch problem

Post by Tim 2010-04-11, 22:41

Was that related to the 'orrible noise we heard yesterday when you started her up?
I guess ( although I am no heli expert Embarassed ) that a clutch is a clutch no matter what it is fitted to, and the friction material will eventually wear out and become frictionless, springs can weaken /break, oil on the plates will cause slip, overheating will cause disintegration, and excessive strain /overloading will have similar effect.
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 3235

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaidy 2010-04-11, 22:50

HAHA, very funny Tim. Maybe I should have add something about about mowing the strip and photo editing just to get one up on you Wink

Not so sure about the noise as we all know that most helis are noisy (not mine) but the last few flights the clutch been almost engaging at tick over speed, which I have been told its an early indication.

I do understand what you are saying and I did get a year out of it.

Thanks

Zaidy
RDMFC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2010-04-11, 22:56

I wasnt being funny Zaidy - I am genuinely enquiring whether the noise may have been early signs of clutch problems. I would think that if the clutch was starting to engage early, that would be sign of weak springs, allowing the centrifuagal action to kick in too soon?
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-04-11, 23:05

Two things come to mind.

1 Fit an upgrdaed clutch such as the Quick UK one.
2 Re Line the clutch bell before you use it again as the linning will have worn thin.

DaveS Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaidy 2010-04-12, 08:34

Tim wrote:I wasnt being funny Zaidy - I am genuinely enquiring whether the noise may have been early signs of clutch problems. I would think that if the clutch was starting to engage early, that would be sign of weak springs, allowing the centrifuagal action to kick in too soon?
Opppsssssssss Embarassed SORRY Tim, us guys with helis get a bit of stick about them being soooo noisy all the time, I should have know that you are better than this (grovel grovel) Very Happy

Not too sure or can remember the noise Tim, I remember hearing something that stood out, which made me look and give it a quick once over it looked all in order. One thing for sure is that the heli was not very happy..

Zaidy
RDMFC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-04-12, 08:49

That looks like material fatigue to me......

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2010-04-12, 08:53

Yeh...its goosed Shocked
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-04-12, 09:03

Yep, those little holes drilled through the clutch are sized to allow the big chunks (that have now broken off) to move outwards and engage with the friction material inside the clutch bell. Whoever has designed that parts has obviously forgotten about doing any fatigue life calculations on the amount of movement and stress/strain going though the little bit of material left. So whilst it may give the clutch engagement characteristics required (i.e. at just the right motor RPM), the material can't handle the number of cycles that the friction material is designed to last for.

Align design engineers = Amateurs..... Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-04-12, 11:16

In a perfect setup
Once up to full speed, the shoes are under no other forces. They simply remain pressed hard against the lining and should return to be clear of lining when engine returns to tickover.
This cycle occurs once each flight.

Fatigue cracking takes many thousand of cycles to develop. Particularly bad in some high tensile alloys, notably Magalloy and Dural. Also common in high tensile hardened machined parts like clutch disks in heli's. These also suffer from cracking from being hardened after machining. Maybe, some actually have cracks already in them as new from overer zealous machining followed by violent heat treatment.

Agree it could be fatigue at waisting bridge to weight part of the one piece shoe part.
Fatigue would take well over 80,000 (rough guess) starts and stops to clock up fatigue cracking damage

Or it could be the shoes were free to travel too far to make full contact with the bell lining.
For this, the lining had become thin or was too thin to start with and the shoes had too far to travel to make contact the lining each time the engine ran up to full speed. The waisting part was repeatedly "overbent" and failed early not by fatigue but simply by being bent too far too many times.

Or there was axial misalignment between engine and clutch bell shaftt
There would then be a regular cyclic rocking of the contact between shoe segments and the bell lining
This is the one that could soon clock up the 80,000 or more cycles to wreck the clutch shoe disk

Whatever.........
You need to replace !

I wonder if the manufactures ever crack test them before sale !!!

PQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Colclough 2010-04-12, 11:40

He's an animal alien cat pig elephant lol!

Brian Colclough

RDMFC Bonus points : 4736

http://www.imacuk.co.uk/   http://www.rdmfc.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-04-12, 12:05

Brian Colclough wrote:He's an animal alien cat pig elephant lol!
Explain Brian please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-04-12, 13:37

Brian Colclough wrote:He's an animal alien cat pig elephant lol!
LOL
hehehe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-04-12, 18:17

Don't worry Zaide,this isn't an isollated (I know I spelt that wrong) incident with the 600 clutch.Mine did the same but didn't quite break up,just cracked.
There are loads of them fracturing like this,because the Align standard clutches aren't machined all the same.Some are slightly larger than others,therefore the larger ones catch the liner at lower revs and the others take more revs to engage.
I have 2 here that are very different with one taking about a quarter throttle and the other bites at tickover.
The ones that bite at higher revs are bending outwards more and as such will fracture earlier than others.
The other week you might remember my 600 LE was needing huge revs to engage so I fitted the Quick uk upgrade because I know it would have failed soon.
I would do what Dave said with the new liner and the Quick uk clutch and all your problems will go away. Smile
Danny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim 2010-04-12, 18:21

Gosh I must get me one of these - all my troubles will disappear eh Smile
Tim
Tim
Committee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-04-12, 18:23

Here you go Zaide I did a little search on Helifreak and this is just one of many discutions on the same subject.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=100224&highlight=trex+600+clutch+problems

Danny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down