RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

kin ya til what it iz yit

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Empty Re: kin ya til what it iz yit

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-02-02, 14:52

Marvellous!

Just wondering, were you planning on modelling any sheeting that goes around complex curves? Just wondering if I need to prepare any canned advice now Wink

Actually, how are you going to be covering the model? Sheeting? Fabric? Glass?

Cheers
Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-02-02, 19:00

Nope no sheeting to model, thankfully. I remember our conversation about gaussian and non gaussian curvature Andy. put me off .
I want to have a try at Mick reeves pro skin. its just very thin epoxy/glass board. No glassing no sanding and ready to paint. or so it says. fuz will most likely be sheet and plank then glass.

Just finished the stab, to be built upside down so the bottom sheet can be added first.
kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Stabby1

and one showing the detachable stab halves.
kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Stabby2

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-02-02, 19:58

Furrynuff. Gaussian curvature is a bit of a pain in the rear to work with in CAD. I tend to keep things down to simple arcs. You can't beat a bit of simple IMHO!

I've seen some builds in a couple of the rags using that Proskin stuff. It looks okay, although I am sure I read somewhere about a problem with it rippling after it had been applied directly to an open structure. I think the author recommended that you use more stringers or structure to support it, and it works great. However, if you don't it is apparently a pig to keep nice and smooth. I've racked my brains, but I canna remember where I read it now! I'll see if I can remember when I go out to play in the snow in a bit.... I've got a snowman called Frankenstein to build

afro

Cheers
Andy

Ps. I'm not sure, but I reckon you could do with a few more lightening holes.....
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-02-02, 22:48

hmmmm just lookin for suitable elevator servos. cant fit a standard size servo so im thinkin hs82mg. would 3.4 kg be enough on each elevator half? seems like enough to me, afterall its no 3d machine Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-02-02, 23:07

Hmmm. I reckon you might get away with it, especially if you split the elevator halves. That said, it is always better to have too much servo power, than not enough Smile

I'm actually very impressed with the 5245mg servos I have in my Trex500. They are veeerryy poowerful (5.5kg torque on 6v!) and seem to centre nicely too. They are a bit smaller than a normal servo, but a bit bigger than an 82mg. Might be worth a lookin?

Cheers
Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-02-03, 01:33

looks like a winner andy. just whats called for. i want to do the linkages internally. so it will be a tiny output arm and almost no horn on the eles. since im only ever going to need small movements. an inch either way at most id recon. hope it works

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-02-03, 09:56

Good stuff. There are a couple of servo torque calculators floating about the interweb, they might be worth a quick check to make sure that you aren't going to need anything much more powerful in terms of servo torque.

Don't forget that the maximum torque required from the servo, is not always to acheive maximum deflection on the control surface. The airflow over the control surface, and the geometry of the hinges etc can have a huge effect, especially on a larger model. Quite often it takes more force applied to the linkage (i.e. from the servo) to shift a control surface a few degrees, than it does to acheive large deflections like 30 degrees.

It might also be worth having a look to see what sort of servos other models like this are using on the elevator Smile

Cheers
Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-02-19, 22:59

has a wing now and the back end is finished as far as internal structure is concernedkin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 109withwing

also added cockpit floor will leave a nice big hole here to be filled with lovely dials and levers and a little nazi action man What a Face kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Cockpit1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-02-22, 00:44

more work on the wing i found some info on the slats including a couple of pics of them removed from the wing. The sub leading edge beneath the slats will be finished then the slats built onto the leading edge. which i will protect with wax paper. They will be secured to the wing after completion with 4 carbon rods running into bearerd built into the leading edge. then they will be driven by a servo with a direct pushrod... simpleskin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Wingailandslat

This pic shows the amount of washout and the step in the leding edge for the slats. thats a scale section too.kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Wingtip

one from the bottom to get an idea of what she will look like roaring overheadkin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Underneath

and one plan view. busy day today kin ya til what it iz yit - Page 2 Topview

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-03-28, 18:51

after a slightly annoying turn of events ive lost all the data for this, ah well start again and do it better Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-04-01, 13:25

You are joking aren't you?

Where was it stored, and what went wrong? I may be able to help, I can't bear to see that much work down the swanny.....

Cheers
Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-04-02, 02:03

twas on a hard drive, which died. i suspect the head collapsed onto the platters it was making some right awful noises. had a lot of other stuff backed up. live and learn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-04-02, 08:42

Ah, nuts. If it is a Hard Drive crash, then you are going to struggle to get anything back off it, unless you send it away to one of them data receovery agents that strip the disk down to its constituent parts to recover as much data as possible. We had to do it at work once when one of our less intelligent employees was keeping everything on his Laptop, rather than in a backed up folder on the network..... It cost a fortune!

Good luck with the Mk.2 model Smile

Cheers
Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-04-02, 19:33

cheers andy. i stripped the drive down today to have a nosy and indeed the top platter was shagged i didnt go any further, the rest may have been ok but there we go. now does that go in the green bin the black one or the blue one????

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum