RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
Adjusting a glow motor Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
Adjusting a glow motor Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
Adjusting a glow motor Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
Adjusting a glow motor Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
Adjusting a glow motor Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

Adjusting a glow motor

Go down

Adjusting a glow motor Empty Re: Adjusting a glow motor

Post by Guest 2010-01-20, 16:06

Ohhh this is a GREAT idea, especially as im practising for my A test.
I have a question, how do you tune the needle on a glow engine?
I know how to on a car with clockwise = lean, counter-clockwise = rich but we do it of smoke trail, and im not to sure how to do it on a plane as I dont want any problems/damage to the engine from my Newby-ness
-
Thanks
-
Sam

Back to top Go down

Adjusting a glow motor Empty How do I tune a glow engine?

Post by Guest 2010-01-20, 16:26

I would like to know how to tune a glow engine as from what I can see, it is different from cars

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-01-20, 16:29

its not difficult,but suggest Google it to get Instructions

Back to top Go down

Adjusting a glow motor Empty Adjusting a glow motor

Post by Brian Colclough 2010-01-20, 16:46

Sam asked in another thread about adjusting a glow motor so here's my attempt at an answer.
First Sam assuming the motor is a two stroke and assuming it's reasonably well run in. You've obviously got a reasonable idea from your reference to setting up your IC car/s. Most modern glow two strokes have two needles one for idle and the other for high speed mixture. Unfortunately the idle screws can operate in two ways, without going into too much detail here some you unscrew to richen and others you tighten to richen, so for the benefit of this post we'll assume you have a reasonable idle and are mainly concerned with setting up you main/high speed needle.
So start the engine on a fairly rich setting and allow it to warm up to it's operating temperature. Once it's warmed up with the model restrained or held open the throttle fully, with it being on a rich setting it will not rev fully, with the throttle fully open taking care to keep your fingers clear of the prop slowly screw in the main needle. As you do so the engine will pick up RPM until it reaches a maximum this is known as peaked out, once peaked out you should then richen (unscrew) the mixture by a couple of clicks. Once you've done this lift the nose of the model still on full throttle so the prop points skywards, taking care to keep it away from any onlookers,if when you lift the nose the engine revs drop significantly the mixture needs richening slightly ie put the model back down unscrew the needle a click or two and repeat the nose up test. Once you get the engine to maintain a steady rpm when you raise the nose you've got a setting good enough to fly. The setting may need further refinement after flight tests.
There is much more to this topic but what I've given you covers most of the basics but as you're a beginner if you are in any doubt please be careful and seek help from any of the lads at the field. Mixture wise it's always better to be slightly rich on the mixture rather than lean as a lean mixture will hurt your engine
If in Doubt Ask

Brian Colclough

RDMFC Bonus points : 4736

http://www.imacuk.co.uk/   http://www.rdmfc.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-01-20, 17:49

Ok thank you, I was just wanting to get a idea if there were any differences, I was wanting to try and start my plane just to make sure it actualy runs before I bring it along to the field, for all I know it could be a dud, but it seems to have good compression!
-
Thanks
-
Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down