RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
For all you Autogyro Nuts! Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
For all you Autogyro Nuts! Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
For all you Autogyro Nuts! Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
For all you Autogyro Nuts! Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
For all you Autogyro Nuts! Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

For all you Autogyro Nuts!

5 posters

Go down

For all you Autogyro Nuts! Empty For all you Autogyro Nuts!

Post by Mark Barnes 2009-07-04, 21:01

There NOT good!!!

Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 8240

Back to top Go down

For all you Autogyro Nuts! Empty Re: For all you Autogyro Nuts!

Post by Andy Sayle 2009-07-04, 21:06

It needs more power.... Steam power....

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-05, 21:13

Mark Barnes wrote:There NOT good!!!

looks like a Wallis Autogiro
A sad reminder for me

I saw one of these crash at Farnborough Air Show one September
It was at 400 feet, it faltered when the plane travelling at high speed upwind turned downwind.
There was a loud bang. The engine and rotor stopped dead.
It dropped out of the sky and landed on the grass away from the runway with a dull thud.
The crowd hushed
An ambulance went out, looked, then stayed in the ambulance all afternoon
The man had died in the accident

The following year, about June, a Wallis A/G was at The Woodford Airshow Display (full size)
Exactly the same thing happened. the little plane did a high speed turn from upwind to down wind. The rotor hit the propellor and both stopped dead.
That fell out of the sky like a bag of spanners too.
Same result

Moral
Don't ride in Wallace Autogyro's unless you are Wing Commander Wallis MBE
Yes he's still around in Norfolk

But I/we could build a model one like you saw at Weston Park
Any more info ?

PaulQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-05, 23:19

seems high g pylon racer turns are out oif the question. i just wanna see one fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-06, 10:03

Have a look at this vid

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCOx8hEKfGk

I have the plans for the Begi if you fancvy a go at one Very Happy

DaveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-06, 10:56

David Sargent wrote:Have a look at this vid
I watched it...Interesting
I have the plans for the Begi if you fancy a go at one Very Happy

DaveS
Thanks Dave
I have the Dave Boddington modern kit for the twin rotor one (from the Nationals last year actually) but like everything else it's waiting for me to get going.
Mmmm the Begi looks a bugger to fly, seems to like circling one way. but what the hell. the answer's yes I'll have a go.
What form is the plan in ?

Paul Q

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Colclough 2009-07-06, 12:02

That single rotor one appears to be tailor made for left hand circuits or is it the pilot Suspect I flew a twin rotor one for Bob Moore several times a few years back, it had a desperately unreliable engine I recall but I did in the end manage to get a few circuits out of it. I would'nt say it holds enough fascination in my memory to build one now, I think it may have been the "Boddo" one.

Brian Colclough

RDMFC Bonus points : 4736

http://www.imacuk.co.uk/   http://www.rdmfc.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-06, 12:53

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-06, 15:03

Been looking at all the pics on the web regarding autogyro`s and they all seem to be piddling little electric ones. As I have loads of spare bits for Raptor 50`s in stock I fancy building a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig one with a forty on the back Very Happy

Do you think that fully semetrical blades would work on an autogyro. Question I have a set of 600mm ones which would give a rotor disk of 1400mm. Slight damage and no good for a helicopter any more but repairable for experimental purposes Cool

Same basic design concept as the Begi only bigger. The joy of using a recycled Raptor head would be that I could make the blade pitch adjustable rather than bending things with pliers as they seem to do on the smaller ones.

What do you think Question

daveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-06, 18:03

David Sargent wrote:Been looking at all the pics on the web regarding autogyro`s and they all seem to be piddling little electric ones. As I have loads of spare bits for Raptor 50`s in stock I fancy building a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig one with a forty on the back Very Happy
I thought that too. The little electric thing was nice but a bit fiddly. The other video one didn't fly too well. Need to stand in the middle of the strip to follow it wherever it wanders
So
If you're going to have one have a big one ! With muscles.

Do you think that fully semetrical blades would work on an autogyro. Question I have a set of 600mm ones which would give a rotor disk of 1400mm. Slight damage and no good for a helicopter any more but repairable for experimental purposes Cool
Back in Macclesfield, whilst following up some model car spares we came accross a Kalt Autogyro ready built ready to go. It had Semi Symetrical blades AND variable pitch, but just for trimming. Also a paddle bar and cyclic control
The OS50 engine was at the front and the blades had negative pitch to enable them to be driven by the air flowing through. In turn the slim Clark Y wing (2 blade) gave lift by travelling through the ait forwards. The rotor shaft was tilted back about 5 deg
I used to have a Rodart by Dennis Neil freeflight. Had Albon dart at front and 3 blade tissue/ balsa clark y rotary wings on hub running on fixed pylon leaning back 5 deg.
Used to fly it at national comps on airfields, particularly Tilstock for fun
From hand launch it climbed steadily up to and through cloudbase and then eventually re-appeared out of the clouds somewhere else wind milling down to a safe return. I've got a photo somewhere of it in my hand by J O'D

Same basic design concept as the Begi only bigger. The joy of using a recycled Raptor head would be that I could make the blade pitch adjustable rather than bending things with pliers as they seem to do on the smaller ones.

What do you think Question
Ooh Yes that sounds good to me
Just the blades to go
The blades could be home made. Balsa rear 2/3TE and Hickory 1/3 leading edge, maybe with inset lead wire LE balance weights. It's not going to be a competition model.
The rear or front facing engine could have a bad effect on steering. Don't forget about the gyro effect
I'm sure Robbe used to do a complete 60 powered Autogyro and they flew quite well
PQ

daveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-06, 21:46

Dave
I found this website
Design your own Autogyro

http://www.autogyro.com/technic/specs.htm

Seems to provide all the info

Paul Q

Back to top Go down

Post by melfyn 2009-07-06, 22:58

I had a Boddo one some years ago built from a plan, it had a stringered fusellage insted of the rather plain box one in the kitted version. It was great fun to fly in a wind and could be landed at your feet with ease. Power was courtesy of an OS Max .30. Laughing
melfyn
melfyn
Committee Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 885

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy 2009-07-08, 15:47

This is the kit you need.

For all you Autogyro Nuts! Img02510

Royb.
Roy
Roy
RDMFC Member

RDMFC Bonus points : 715

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-08, 16:12

WISH THEY STILL MADE THEM

DaveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-08, 16:38

Just tracked down this site

http://www.whirlybirdaviation.com/

They do plans for the autogyros that were at Weston. See my pics in media. No prices on the site so I have fired off an E Mail. Looks interesting.

DaveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-08, 17:01

Roy
They had one in Charlie Jacksons shop, Ashton Under Lyne Nr Oldham. It was just like your picture and Yes it was the usual Micromold crude but practical mechanics.
The price was about £115 as you say. It might as well have been £1,113 which to me then was a year's wages.
It was a ridiculous price for what it was....er in my opinion
My Micromold Lark flew OK once it had an OS28 Heli engine on board. With the Fuji 19 it was useless.
Horrid thing at first. Adreniline is brown, I discovered.
Fixed pitch, belt drive engine to the pinion gear. Oh you just fly it like a fixed wing they said. Oh really. They didn't mention landing.
You can imagine what happened. But once you got used to it it was quite good. It would loop quite easily.
No flight sims in those days of course.

Paul Q

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2009-07-09, 19:06

The latest update on the Autogyro front is that I have just ordered a couple of sets of plans Very Happy . One electric and one 40size IC. They are from Richard Harris the guy who built the ones seen at Weston Park. Check out his video`s per the link in my previous post.

It seems that my spare helicopter blades are of no use as you need clark Y blades for an autogyro and 3 is better than 2. You either make your own or buy from Balsa Craft in the states who are the only people I have found that do them. Their blades have a slight reflex and are reportedly very efficient.

I have spoken with a college in Whitchurch who has built 3 of Richard Harris`s desighns (not yet flown) and he tells me that the plans are very good and take the "keep it simple" approach.

More when I get the plans.

DaveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down