RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
Post winter Checks Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
Post winter Checks Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
Post winter Checks Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
Post winter Checks Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
Post winter Checks Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

Post winter Checks

3 posters

Go down

Post winter Checks Empty Post winter Checks

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-03-02, 15:17

Well if the last couple of days are anything to go by we must all be getting the urge to fly (i for one am)

But after a phone call last nigh (he shall remain nameles Wink ) it got me thinking about post winter checks so i thought id pop a few i do down for the newbies

RX and TX batteries, the life blood of our planes dont just top them off give them a couple of cycles and check your getting the correct capacity in them if in dobt bin them and buy some more

Batt leads/switches/servo wires, give eveything a check, look for wire chaffing, broken wires, make sure the switch is still working corectly dont just try it once!

Fuel, clear out any old fuel from the tanks (if you havent before the winter) give the engine some freash gogo juice, check all the fuel pipes if they look "dirty" change them

Control surfaces, give them a good pull and wiggle the cold weather we have had can leave hinges brittle and cause a failier, same with all servo arms/horns, check for warps in eveything

Airframe, give it a good doing over make sure all screws are still tight and internal joints (that you can see) havent become britle

All comments/ additions welcolme it may just save your plane

M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 8240

Back to top Go down

Post winter Checks Empty Re: Post winter Checks

Post by Guest 2010-03-02, 16:12

LOL
When I was testing my tutor, It was falling to bits on the ground!!!
2 engine mount screws (airframe to mount) came undone so I shut of the engine, slapped some lock tight on and that was ok, then the nuts on the bolts holding the engine came loose and nearly fell off so I did the same above, then the balancing lead falls off, and if that had happened in flight, that would of been catastrophic but it is now firmly epoxied with some 2 hour epoxy!!
So then I went over the whole plane, undoing every screw that went into metal and lock tighted them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Colclough 2010-03-02, 16:26

Good call this one Mark, the weather looks pretty good right through to and over the weekend so give your gear a dose of looking at guys Wink

Brian Colclough

RDMFC Bonus points : 4736

http://www.imacuk.co.uk/   http://www.rdmfc.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-02, 16:35

Ohhhhh YAY
I hope someone else can take me up so I can get some more flight time!!
Any one fancy maidening my tutor 40?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-02, 18:12

Good thread mark.
I had an engine cut today in flight and I nearly dropped a log when it happened. pale
The clunk line failed in the tank and the header tank went dry.
The clunk line I've been using is apparently neoprene based and dissolves quickly when it is exposed to nitro gasses.(3 weeks old this fuel tube is)
So when I empty the tank it pulls through the gasses from the exhaust into the tank and I've just tried it in the garden and shone a torch at the tank and when emptied you can see the gasses swirling around inside.
The clunk line is from Ripmax.
Please check your fuel tube regularly.
A theory I'm going to try is at the end of the day fill the tank and let it sit for a while before emptying it in the hope it will push all the gasses out.
The thick stuff I used last year was fine though but I'm gonna take more care to check this regularly.
Danny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich 2010-03-02, 20:07

Mr Moff wrote:Good thread mark.
I had an engine cut today in flight and I nearly dropped a log when it happened. pale
The clunk line failed in the tank and the header tank went dry.
The clunk line I've been using is apparently neoprene based and dissolves quickly when it is exposed to nitro gasses.(3 weeks old this fuel tube is)
So when I empty the tank it pulls through the gasses from the exhaust into the tank and I've just tried it in the garden and shone a torch at the tank and when emptied you can see the gasses swirling around inside.
The clunk line is from Ripmax.
Please check your fuel tube regularly.
A theory I'm going to try is at the end of the day fill the tank and let it sit for a while before emptying it in the hope it will push all the gasses out.
The thick stuff I used last year was fine though but I'm gonna take more care to check this regularly.
Danny.

When using an exhaust pressurised fuel system the exhaust gasses are always in the tank no just when you are emptying it.
Rich
Rich
Treasurer/Membership Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 5694

http://www.futaba-rc.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-03, 12:41

Is it worth trying to push some of the gasses out by filling the tank when I finish flying for the day and then draining it later?
I'm kind of nervous now in case it happens again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-03-03, 12:55

buy a desent clunk and fuel line and zip tie the buggers on?

M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 8240

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-03, 13:44

I cable tied some on this morning,gave it a little pull and the cable tie helpes it cut through the pipe. pale
It's got the OS bubbleless clunk in there which works great but the tank part of the nipple is a little sharp.
On my other 600 I just checked the same part and it isn't as sharp as this one so I'm going to gently take a smidge of the sharp part off.
I also just ordered some different types of clunk line to check them all out including Hayes clunk and Sullivan from the states.
Time to find out which is best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum