RDMFC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

RDMFC Social Media
RDMFC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» 2019 Llanfair TH Village Fete
Andy's Belated christmas present.... - Page 3 Empty2019-07-12, 18:53 by Rich

» Police crash
Andy's Belated christmas present.... - Page 3 Empty2019-04-14, 15:36 by Roy

» Bit of indoors
Andy's Belated christmas present.... - Page 3 Empty2019-04-13, 16:49 by Roy

» For Sale
Andy's Belated christmas present.... - Page 3 Empty2019-03-03, 23:44 by Charles E Cornes

» selling up finaly!
Andy's Belated christmas present.... - Page 3 Empty2019-02-10, 16:31 by melfyn

Saturday 7/7/18

2018-07-07, 21:07 by Gary M Jones

I was at the field today between 14:00 & 15:00 all on my own , good flying too. There is a dead sheep along the fence line towards the gate from the pits, I saw the farmer so reported this to her. I hope no one had plans for a BBQ Smile .

Farmer …

Comments: 1

Andy's Belated christmas present....

5 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Andy's Belated christmas present.... - Page 3 Empty Re: Andy's Belated christmas present....

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-02-17, 21:55

Cool Andy will have to pop in for a gander,

This is what you need for a RX Sam
http://alshobbies.com/shop/lookupstock.php?pc=38429

M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

RDMFC Bonus points : 8240

Back to top Go down

Andy's Belated christmas present.... - Page 3 Empty Re: Andy's Belated christmas present....

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-02-17, 21:56

ahh same time post, Jetti dont be gay!
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-02-17, 22:12

Spektrum-Schmektrum!

The AR6250 does look pretty good, although I wouldn't be able to see what sort of things the batteries are doing in flight with it would I?

Actually, I need to check if the Jeti Rx will fit down the tailboom first, before slating the Spektrum ones....

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

RDMFC Bonus points : -487569788

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-02-17, 22:18

Andy Sayle wrote:Spektrum-Schmektrum!

The AR6250 does look pretty good, although I wouldn't be able to see what sort of things the batteries are doing in flight with it would I?

Andy

yeah thts been a problem for fliers for years wonder how we ever coped Rolling Eyes
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-02-19, 13:46

Andy Sayle wrote:. Due to the carbon content, I'm going to have run the aerials externally on this one, so I'm on the lookout for some nice little fairings to suit a 2.4GHz aerial. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Andy

http://www.modellhobby.de/Accessories/Various-parts/2-4-GHz-antenna-exit-guides-2pcs.htm?shop=k_staufenb_e&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=2250001&t=130&c=116&p=116

somthing, like this?

M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-02-19, 13:54

Now they are perfect!

Cheers Smile
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-02-19, 14:07

i knew id seen them somwere lol, i keep going on that site and looking at the fireblade F3F

M
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-02-19, 14:42

The fireblade F3F is a bit red for my liking.....
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-05, 20:43

So lets see some finished pics then!!
Were is the motor going?
I dont see any mounts

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-03-16, 09:45

Morning chaps.

Just a quick update, I've started the build! I had a delivery with some small bits in the other day, namely a Jeti 6 channel duplex receiver (complete with a current sensor), and three Hyperion DS09AMD servos.

The JibeĀ² takes two servos in the wing (one on each aileron) and one in the fuselage for the elevator. The Hyperion servos I have chosen are really nice indeed. Ā£24 each, but they have a metal gearbox that has next to no play at all, a case size that is tiny (9mm thick!) and they have a surprising amount of power for something so small.

Anyway, I have enlarged the wing cutouts for the servos slightly using my trusty little Dremel copy. Well, it was trusty, as I appear to have killed it somehow. Ah well, at least it is really tricky to kill a manual needle file. The other thing I did was route out a small slot in the upper wingskin, about 2mmx10mm. That will form the pushrod exit, and allow the ailerons to be top driven.

I have also cut out some slightly better aileron control horns from some 1.5mm epoxy glass board. I wasn't too happy with the supplied horns, as they were only 0.6mm thick, and had very little material around where the control rod fits. On something that has the potential to be rather quick indeed, I prefer things that look plenty strong enough! The control horns have been bonded into little slots cut into the ailerons, using some decent epoxy.

Now the next job is the bend the control rods to shape. It's a job I hate, as it is really tricky to get the shape just right, and not interfer anywhere over the servos full travel. I want to maximise the amount of servo travel used, whilst getting just the right amount of movement of the control surface. This ensures the maximum servo resolution is used, and everyone knows that Chicks dig that Smile

It appears that my digital camera lead is not wanting to let me upload pictures, so I'll sort them out later....

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-03-25, 10:44

Pesky camera is flat refusing to upload any pictures!

I've done a bit more work on the jibe anyway. The control rods for the ailerons have been bent to shape. It took bloomin ages to get the profile just right, coupled with a slot cut in the upper surface of the wing, to maximise the servo travel. I've ended up with using abou 70% of the servo resolution for the approximatly correct amount of travel on the ailerons. Best of all though, I didn't have to cut into the sub spar in the wing Smile

AS I type the servos are currently sat in the wing, awaiting the epoxy to cure that is going to hold them in place. I would normally fashion some mounting frames to allow for easy servo removal, but I felt that the slightly more secure method of gluing in the servo would be best for this model. Oh, I extended the servo leads too, so they exit the wing in the centre.

On the fuselage I have bonded the tail in place. The fuselage moulding has two little holes for 2mm carbon pegs. The horizontal stabilise slips over these, and the fin on top. It took a while sanding the lumps out of the various mating surfaces, to ensure maximum bond area, but once that was done, it was time to assemble with a liberal dash of Hysol toughened epoxy. This is a really slow cure resin, which gave me basg of time to make sure everything was aligned perfectly.

One thing I did before bonding the tail together, was to install the elevator control horn. This is offset slightly from the centreline, to make sure the control rod is as straight as possible, and will operate as smoothly, and as rigidly as it can. The elevator throw will be tiny (due to the speeds involved!) so any slop, or binding here is going to go down like ordering the gammon steak at a Chanukah meal....

The next jobs are to bond the motor mounting in, making a mount for the elevator servo and receiver that fits down the boom, and setting up the elevator linkage Smile Oh, and I need to sort out this pesky camera, as this thread is rubbish with no pictures!

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-25, 19:12

Ohhh very nice!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-03-26, 09:22

I woke up early this morning, so a quick half hour in the workshop has seen the aileron servo covers trimmed to size, ready for fastening on. I'm not sure how to do this, I don't want them on permanently, but I want to try and avoid having diamond tape stuck on there. Any ideas?

One thought I had was to use some rubbery glue, something that would hodl the servo cover down well, but peel off easily if I need to remove the cover for access.

Oh, and I tested the servos now they have been bonded in place. Nice and smooth, and no slop at all! There is a slight bit of flex in the control linkages, but it shouldn't be an issue in flight Smile

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-03-26, 09:25

Silicon (spelling) for the covers works a treat
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-03-26, 10:07

Now there's an idea, why didn't I think of that? I've even got a tube of it sat on my desk here at work.....

I dunno what the world is coming to, people taking build advice from Barnes... Shocked I'll be taking up IC flying next......

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-03-29, 13:28

Still camera-lead-less, but a bit more done on the Jibe.

The motor mount has been bonded in place using some thin CA to tack it in the correct location (with the motor and spinner in place to make sure everything lines up correctly) then a fillet of Hysol to take the main torque load from the motor.

I've also made up a little tray to mount down the boom, that will have the elevator servo and receiver mounted to it. It is just a 10mm hard balsa sheet, about 75mm long, and about 30mm wide. The Elevator servo has been bonded to it, and the receiver will be held in place with a velcro wrap. To hold the tray down to the fuselage, I have used some M4 threaded inserts in the tray, and drilled a couple of holes in the fuselage. A pair of M4 button head screws will do a nice job of securing it in place.

This removable tray is not strictly needed, but it makes installing and setting up the elevator servo and receiver a lot easier. Sticking th gear down the boom leaves the maximum room for a chunk of batteries to sit in the widest part of the fuselage under the wing.

Oh and stucjt eh servo covers down with a bit of silicone carefully applied. It seems to have worked a treat Smile

Next up, I'll be installing the motor/ESC, and also the recevier pack and regulator. I'm using a seperate receiver pack and regulator to ensure a smooth consistent supply to the radio and control gear onboard. I could get away with using the BEC that is built into the ESC, but I want to ensure the rx power supply is not subject to any fluctuations at all. Belt and braces an all that.....

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-29, 13:59

Sounds good!
So you can fly till its time to dump the li-po, and still carry on soaring!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-03-29, 14:06

That's the idea Sam. Although, it is not the lightest loaded of machines, so the soaring is going to be more like "falling with style".....

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-29, 14:08

lol ok, what about that big lellow one?
Isnt that pretty much the same or is the jibe better?

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-03-29, 14:25

Ah haaaa, the big yella thing (AKA graphite) is a 3m "warmliner". It is much bigger than the JibeĀ² (only 1.37m span, vs 3m of the Graphite), and weighs rather a lot more. The power system in the Graphite is a bit more beefy too, running at around 1.3kW.

The Jibe should be a helluva lot quicker, and more agile. The Graphite is more of a soaring machine that happens to go upwards quite quickly....

Andy

PS. I'll bring the Jibe with me tomorrow night for people to have a fondle....
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-29, 14:33

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-29, 14:34

Well again Im only bringing tha choppa again

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sayle 2010-03-29, 14:35

I'm only going to bring the Jibe, and a monster appetite for Chinese food....

Andy
Andy Sayle
Andy Sayle
Club Chairman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2010-03-29, 14:40

hehe
Im not eating much today so I will have room!
About AA, what are we allowed to bring, I take it that maby [url=THIS]http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/SRC-M4-A1-Carbine-2-Tone_AQODU~0.aspx[/url] is out of the question.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Barnes 2010-03-29, 15:01

Andy Sayle wrote:
Oh and stucjt eh servo covers down with a bit of silicone carefully applied. It seems to have worked a treat Smile

Andy

Told ya Wink
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes
Club Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next